Drake
Ed Sias
I ran 11:00.1 on the course in trainers, the course is 20 seconds slow or maybe even more. So thats -20, -10 for trainers, 10:30 or even better equivalent. After that I went to the mall with some people like all the fucking girls on the team and college park too getting dresses but at least Craig was there and we found some cool stuff so that my head didnt explode from estrogen overdose. But then BOOM... Craig left. I was stuck with the girls and they went to the little girls changing room so I sat outside on a table until all ten of them came out giggling and acting like I hadnt had my balls shrivelled up from all the baby clothes surrounding me. Then I acted like I wasnt that mad, mostly because I wasnt. Smaller balls probably make me run faster.
Today I ran 10 miles in Redwood at a nice controlled easy clip, like 6:45s just cruisin down the trails smelling the trees and being almost naked. I then found my pictures on dyestat and I was dying yesterday, shit I ran hard. Im really tired today and I have a pool workout in the morning.
Ooh I should mention how the race played out. Gun goes off, I get to the front in the first 200, and run side by side with some other guys then they fall off and Matt Duffy and I take the lead at 300. Brian Cole works his way up and gets in front by 500m and now Joey Thomas and I are running side by side, I notice both of them and Duffy have on their racing flats. We continue pressing the pace and I am in oxygen debt quickly. At 1200/1300 we hit the first real uphill, Joey Thomas and I side by side, getting a million calls of "GO JOEY!!!" some calls with Kochlacs, some with Thomas, Tad Beach gives us both advice on accident. Here, Duffy and Brian Cole are in the lead with Thomas and I 10ft back, its close still. We get to 1550, right before the mile mark and turn down to finish the loop, Duffy takes this opportunity to start a rapid break away on the downhill and we are still turning so cant respond. I pass Brian Cole, I am in second with Duffy lengthening his gap. This is the mile mark, I am deeply in oxygen debt while going downhill as fast as I thought I could while still finishing. We go back over the bridge and begin the 700m of gradual uphill to the base of Cookie or Finale Hill, 4 more people pass me until we reach the bottom of the hill. In 5th place, I gun up Finale Hill, knowing its all downhill to the end, repassing all 4, Duffy is finishing the hill when I start. I lengthen my stride and keep moving my legs quickly going down the back, taking monster steps which bring me flying down, I am still in 2nd place, its time to kick hard, even though I used almost all my kick on that hill. 300m to go. I fly up the last little hill, which was brutal after what I had done on Finale and use the downhill to my advantage. David Buscho is on my shoulder. I kick harder. With 80m to go, he passes me, I try to respond, nothing is there, he passes me. He beats me by 1 second flat, 10:59.1 to 11:00.1.
That was the most balls Ive put into a race, I have never taken the lead early before, ever. I have never kicked so hard with more than a quarter mile to go on such a hill. Room for improvement though, obviously. Main points, I could have taken the gradual uphill harder, my legs were so heavy that I was mentally losing it there but regathered for the end. I saw the pics too, everyone who ran faster, in both races were wearing flats. That is a positive sign for me, I also ran 8 the day before and 9 w/rim the day before that and a hard workout on the day before that so its not like I had any tapering what so ever.
I love every one of my friends, you guys are awesome, I feel good right now. Lets do something good like breakfast at my house after pooling wednesday. For those of you in college I will see you Thanksgiving and Ill do my best to improve and uphold Campo's tradition.