Drake
Stanford
After a long drive of many piss-stops we got to Stanford and then out to the course. When I got there, Marshall and Wilita told me some guy with a beard was looking for me, I later found out he was some sort of scout, unfortunately the guy never showed up again and I dont even know where he was from.
My week leading up to this. Sick on Monday, no school, easy Tuesday, huge PR at dual on Wednesday, beating Peabody by 17 seconds, medium distance run w/ hills on Thursday, 20min at 6 minute pace Friday morning, 5 miles easy in the afternoon.
Stanford race. We get to the line with 4 minutes to go, they stop letting people do strides, we have no strides. None, heart rate is going down from the warmup. Patrick from BOD is in the box next to me and says something funny but I forget what it was, someone even got a picture of it and its on his myspace. Gun goes off, Chris and I dart to the lead pack. At 1k, I am in the lead group, at times I have taken the lead or been tied for the lead. We go through the mile in 4:55. This guy with yellow socks and I have been sharing the lead off and on for just less than 2 miles when Fawad Khan passes us, Chuck is there and tells me to let the race unfold a bit more before charging after him, I let him go a bit, now Im in second, Khan getting further ahead. We go up this hill at about 4k, Khan is about 10m in front of me, Sean Boyte, in yellow socks is running right behind. At the top of the hill, I feel spent, there is about 1km left, but there is a downhill for a very long time. Boyte and I battle the downhill until we reach 25m to go on the hill, it becomes very very steep downhill for a very short time, its like a roll-in for the foam pit at Woodward, Im not afraid of it. I take three very large strides, shooting me down the hill very quickly, distancing Boyte by 5m over those 25m. On the more gradual part of that downhill, someone else had passed me very quickly, making me believe they were feeling really good, but he never distanced me and ended up running 2 seconds faster. In the last 500m, it was all uphill, kicking uphill is hard, but I managed to hold off anyone else who thought they could get third place. My time was 15:59, third place in d3.