Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Drake
Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday morning

Yesterday I went to San Francisco for the USATF Club Cross Country Nationals meet, and it was a lot cooler than I had expected. I was awoken by Sparky at 8, then I put on running shorts and warmups, shoes and got some apple pie then got in her car. Matt Ridenour drove us from Campo to SF then we got to the meet. One of the first things that happens is I meet Devo's uncle, Dirk. He was a character, and acted like he was our age or younger, even though hes at least 22, not sure how much older than that though.

After meeting Dirk, the first race started and he was racing in it himself, got third. I think it was a 6k. Sparky and I ran around before and during that race, cheering on Devon's uncle, it was tight. After, we cooled down with him and his friend.

Now the fun part, working the chute and getting to wear an orange vest that said "RACE OFFICIAL." The first race we worked was a women's masters 6k, meaning women over 40. That wasnt too bad, our job was just to take their place if one were to fall down and not be able to walk through the chute, then someone would run up with their number and we'd go back. I never actually got to do the job because other people were doing it and jumped out before I could.

MEN'S MASTERS. The best race ever, 40 year or over men, racing a 10k. These curtious old men were a joy to try to make go through the chute. A man with a megaphone telling them to "Keep jogging!" made them very disgruntled. This received a wide range of replies from "You keep running asshole," and "Jesus Christ!"(while flipping of the chute workers) to much simpler replies like "Shut up, just shut up," and light punches to the man with the megaphone. Trying to not cause a backup in the chute, the officials had to keep pushing them, this was met with "Get your fucking hands off me asshole," and again more hitting.

After that race I had had enough, and Craig Lee showed up, so I went with him and just walked/jogged around a bit cheering for races, making my day around 6 miles.

For my efforts, I was awarded a T-shirt and about a bajillion Clif Bars.

I got my Christmas tree at Target this morning with my grandparents and my mom.

My week will end at about 40 miles, all easy.

Blogger Calvin said...
hey, this is calvin. how's your off-season going? any cool plans for the holidays? and also, i was just wondering if you are planning on doing the mile, because i am! hope everything's good with you and the campo team, i hope we get to race again come track season. talk to you later.  

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates