Previous Posts

Archives

Links
Drake
Thursday, March 16, 2006

Thursday-from Willy's

Dyestat isnt working on this computer so I dont know what to do. Ill just update some shit. On Tuesday I ran about 8 miles on trails in the Berkeley hills that I didnt know about and liked a lot. I have been reading a lot of "The Grapes of Wrath" for English and I think its really good, I just dont like how I read 100 pages every night. Its not a book that I really would read on my own, but its better than most things I have had to read for English.
Right now my right shin hurts really bad in one centered spot and I dont know whats going on, if I run on it, it doesnt really hurt that much but just walking around it is really painful. I hate to say I think it could be a stress fracture because I dont want to worry mysefl, but it really seems very very bad right now. Im sure its not a stress fracture right now, but it could be on its way to being one, Im not sure, but it does hurt a lot, especially walking on it. It started on Sunday so I took the day off, hoping it would get better, and did a 5 mile fartlek on concrete on Monday, which couldnt have helped. Tuesday it felt better and then after my run, it felt horrible. On Wednesday just walking around, it was painful. I slept 10 hours last night after having read 130 pages about the Joad family and their troubles. Im at the point in the book where they got into a camp run by the government and they finally feel safe, clean, dignified and have work, but a nice employer of Tom's told him that the police had set up a fight to happen at the next dance, and ruin everything. Its hard to explain if you havent read the book. So I got done with the reading and was asleep before 10, woke up at around 7:50. I walked around and my shin felt great at first, but after some more walking I realized it wasnt that much better. Last night my mom gave me some stuff to put on the area that is kind of like Ben-Gay but its more "natural" or some shit like that. She went on telling me about it and at that point I made a connection to South Park and the episode where Cheech and Chong pretend to be Indians and sell a lot of Holistic medicines. Then I just sort of stopped hearing her and thought about Piedmont.
I wonder If I can really run, there are two things that can happen. One: I will be really rested for it and uninjured because I took the 3 days before it really easy and will have a great race, but my weekly mileage will be hurt a lot. Two: I will get to Piedmont only to realize I hurt too much and then decide to go to a doctor. Whatever happens, Im staying at the meet from 1 till the end of the meet. I dont know what the deal is, I remember during xc, I had a similar problem, but directly opposite of where this hurts on the same bone, just above the ankle. I had a problem there that made me cut down to running 4/5 days a week for the last 5 weeks, just running hard workouts and Saturdays, maybe one more day if it was feeling okay. A week or two into the injury, a bump grew. Coach said that bumps only grew with stress fractures/bone injuries. At the end of xc it was hurting a lot and I was really worried about it, so I took the entire 2 weeks off completely. When I started again I could still feel it, but within a week, it went away while running through. Coach had told me that you always feel old injuries when you come back from a break, and Im glad I ran through because it did go away quickly.
Then I got that horrible knee problem that I was very immature about and kept running through so my mileage was very low all winter, my highest week 46. I got to start really training at last when track started because I had let myself heal. So I started training pretty hard and had shin splints pretty much from day one, although most of the time they were just mild. I finally got rid of them the day before De la Salle and had an okay race there. Training was going well and fine until this sunday when my shin hurt a lot. I think at this point its just really bad shin splints, I dont know. As I have already said, if it is just shin splints, they are really bad, and its weird that they havent subsided much even while taking a day off. I will try to find a pool today and if I cant find a good one, then like 20-30 minutes on grass. The more I touch it and play with it, the more I realize it cant be a stress fracture, but it may be at the bone bruise stage. I have a feeling the Joad family is going to have a tough time very soon, their luck has been too good in the last few pages, but they will make it in the end. If they dont, Im going to be pissed.

Post a Comment

Powered for Blogger by Blogger templates